CPD for Solicitors
CPD year: 1 November - 31 October
- Solicitors and registered European lawyers (RELs), working 32 hours or more a week in England & Wales - CPD hours/points required per year: 16 hours.
- 25% of the 16 hours for solicitors and RELs must consist of participation in accredited training courses.
- Solicitors and registered European lawyers (RELs), working less than 32 hours a week in England & Wales
- - CPD hours/points required per year: reduced from 16 hours. The exact requirement will depend on how many hours you work; please contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority to discuss your needs.
- Kaplan Altior is accredited by the SRA to provide CPD training for solicitors. Please check your specific course for its unique CPD details.
Solicitors in their first 3 years PQE are required by the Solicitors Regulation Authority to complete the Management Course Stage 1 training. Please see the MC1 page for course details.
CPD for Higher Court Advocates
- CPD year: 1 November - 31 October
- CPD hours/points required per year: 16.
In the first 5 years after obtaining the Higher Rights qualification, these 16 hours must include a minimum of 5 hours of advocacy training.
CPD for Barristers
- CPD year: 1 January - 31 December
- CPD hours required per year: 12 (for barristers who have completed their first three years of practice and completed the new practitioners programme).
- Most of Kaplan Altior's CPD courses can contribute to a barrister’s CPD training. Please check with Kaplan Altior or The Bar Standards Board to clarify CPD details for your chosen course.
Please check your specific course for its unique CPD details.
Institute of Paralegals
- CPD year: runs from the date of the individual member’s joining/renewal.
- CPD hours/points required per year: 12
Kaplan Altior courses are suitable for members of the Institute of Paralegals.
Institute of Legal Executives
Full information about the CPD requirements for CILEx members can be found here. In summary, the CILEx website states:
The 2014 CPD year will run from 1 October 2013 to 30 September 2014.
The Legal Services Board approved the proposed changes to the CILEx CPD scheme on 25 July 2013. There will be a phased implementation of the new CPD scheme, the hours based element of the old scheme will be retained in the 2014 CPD year across all grades and will be as follows:
- Fellows, Associate Prosecutors and Legal Accounts Executives will need to undertake a minimum of 16 CPD hours;
- Graduates and Legal Accounts Members a minimum of 12 CPD hours; and
- Associates a minimum of 8 CPD hours.
An Additional professionalism element has been introduced to the requirements for the 2014 CPD year. Members in all the aforementioned grades of membership will be required to undertake the professionalism element alongside their hours based requirements. The professionalism element will not be measured in hours but rather in terms of outcomes.